Friday, October 14, 2011

The Liabilities in Accentuating the POSITIVE

                                               
               The Liabilities in Accentuating the
                             POSITIVE
 

(My version of the fundamental dynamic & thematic genius of
both Poe &  Hawthorne and diagnosis, too, of the half-assed
success of Enlighten-Mental Humanism & the Age of Reason,
not to mention the agony & the  ecstasy  of modern & post-
modern-ism ).

                       SIAMESE  TWINS
 
               positive                       negative
               pleasure                       pain
               symbolic                     dia-bolic
            (throw together)         (throw apart)
 
             attraction                     revulsion
               “love”                          “hate”
               “good”                         “evil”
 
Consider these binary pairs as functioning  like twins in a
cybernetic guidance system, like cruise-control parameters,
or the self-correcting dynamic of a smart bomb— keeping
it on target (the mark).
 
Or, like my  friendly uncle after Thanksgiving dinner hides a
penny and then urges me to discover it, saying no yr cold,
colder oh now
  yr getting hot hot hotter…until EUREKA:
                               I Get IT.! 
 
System self-correcting & cybernetic navigational  binary
& opposing signals .that serve to get me to my destination,
harbor, goal…  zig zag ouch  oooo yes, no…  etc. 
Subordinate, and functioning to help me hit my mark.
 
Now: suppose instead of these +/- binaries working in subordinate
concert to correct me toward my goal, I split them and make the
positive ones ordinate (positive pleasure et al my destination, aim,
goal,) and the negative ones (negative pain etc) what I avoid, deny,
cover up:
                              privileging
                         positive, pleasure
                       symbolic,  attraction
                            love,  good
 
and sending  their twin opposites to the basement, wall them up,
bury them in floorboards and sit on a stool whistling Dixie…
              
                              hush hush
                         ( negative, pain
                        diabolic, revulsion
                             hate, evil )
 
An abomination, yes? Depravity!  Twisting and breaking-off a
cybernetic corrective system and making ½ of it my  focus and
measurable end. and assessable outcome. .
 
Accentuating the Positive.
Denying and covering up the Negative.
Running around in circles chasing my tales.
Me: a Goodie.  I wanna be Good so Bad I can’t
afford the Bad It Takes

          
 
                    xxxooo, Young  Goodman  Brown
 

No comments:

Post a Comment