Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Meta-Sustainability and the Economic Crisis



Dear Colleages on Both Sides of the Desk
& Across the Curriculum,



In one short piece, Cage broke from the history
of classical composition and proposed that the
primary act of musical performance was not
making music, but listening.

I could not accept the academic idea that the purpose
of music was communication, because I noticed that
when I conscientiously wrote something sad, people
and critics were often apt to laugh.

I determined to give up composition unless I could
find a better reason for doing it than communication.

I found this answer from Gira Sarabhai, an Indian

singer and tabla player: The purpose of music is to
sober and quiet the mind, thus making it susceptible
to divine influences.

I also found in the writings of
Ananda K. Coomaraswammy
that the responsibility of the
artist
is to imitate nature in
her manner
of operation.

I became less disturbed
and went back to work.

That summer Fuller put up his first dome, which
immediately collapsed. He was delighted. "I only
learn what to do when I have failures."

His remark made me think of Dad.
That is what Dad would have said.

It was at Black Mountain College that I made
what is sometimes said to be the first happening.
***
The 3 Economies
& the Economic Crisis





.............................................

liberal artist
not to be
conflated
collapsed
or confused
with liberal arts:
a difference that makes a difference.


xxxooo. Presbyter

No comments:

Post a Comment