Monday, April 6, 2009

Satisfying SACS: Necessary but not Sufficient

What Happens when a Literature
Area
requirement designed to
introduce me to ways of under-
standing,
interpreting, & responding
to primary
works of imaginative
literature
over-develops my informed
literary and aesthetic judgment?

An Agony
Torn Between 2 Economies




If you hold a gun to my head and say
I’ve got to be perfectly clear about what
I’m doing in class and whether I’m doing
what I say I’m doing & whether they are
GETTING what I say they are GETTING
and how can I be certain: what EVIDENCE
do I have to prove I am and they are…

I’ll devise the best self-serving bullet
statements & instruments of validation
I can. Worse: even some accurate ones
that will determine position if not velocity
where we’re at if not how fast:
half-fast for sure if it’s such a big deal
where.

It’s like me asking

DO YOU LOVE ME?

Sure, I’ll get an answer, But I had to ask,
so IT’s not the same as if I hadn’t had to,
know what I’m saying?

Like going into a Rolls Royce showroom
kicking tires and asking: Well, what do
one of
these babies cost? Huh?
Huh?

("LIKE," I said. Not "is.")

If I got to ask, I can’t afford IT!
Forget about IT.
IT, I said.

xxxooo, Presbyter ("old guy")

No comments:

Post a Comment