Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wounded By A Burglar

STAMFORD'S LATEST ROBBERY NEARLY ENDED
IN TRAGEDY: THE VICTIM: A WELL-KNOWN
YALE ATHLETE: SAVED BY THE
BED CLOTHES

Necessary But Insufficient
CAUSE


A bumper sticker I’ve pasted on the backs of my eye lids.
Necessary but insufficient cause: part of the process but not
sufficient to explain, interpret, account for, justify whatever.
Anything. Works, deeds, intentions, plans, effort, practice,
skill, conditions, reason, timing, devotion: all necessary &
insufficient.

“Words are inadequate, Sam,” students say again and again.
Yes, of course. All our words I say they wouldn’t be here this
morningright now playing with mind &idea if it hadn’t been a
bullet was fired in Connecticut by a burglar in a bedroom late
at night near the end of the 19th century, April 26, 1897 to be
exact, —an inadequate but necessary because to their being
here right now postponing joy. .

I could drive north, secure that bullet, bring it here to pass it
all around & each might feel an appropriate piece of personal
destiny, it’s small heft in the palm; & realize: “if it weren’t for this
bullet I wouldn’t be here now today. None of us in this
class would. “

A necessary if insufficient cause.
But the key notion is necessity.
But the key notion is insufficiency.

I could tell you why: you and the bullet are related ("it's all
relative, Sam!") show the causality & prove it. Not a long
story you could deny if you were illogical.




Shrine in mind: icon representing origins, generation, necessity,
insufficiency: standing for the always ripped- off & reduced
violations to the whole that any explanation carries, leaden
embodiment of crimes committed by my discrimination & arbitrary
reasons-why, interpretations, comprehensions determining my
assess-mentalism & course evaluations if it weren't for that
bullet..

Necessary, sure. Bright, shining, lucid rockets red glaring
clarifications & . insufficient. So much occluded by my
account abilities. More than I can say. My guilt makes good
sense just in case I forget to remember my inadequacies,
insufficiencies & necessities..

No comments:

Post a Comment