Monday, September 7, 2009

Liberal Art talk


Sampling Emerson's
Over Soul

(Liberal Art Talk)

The most exact calculator has no pre-
science that somewhat incalculable may
not balk the very next moment. I am
constrained every moment to acknowledge
a higher origin for events than the will I call
mine.

(From some alien energy the vision comes.)

A certain tendency to insanity has always
attended the opening of the original sense
in men, as if they had been blasted with
excess of light.

OVERSOUL

When it breathes through his intellect,
it is genius when it breathes through
his will, it is virtue; when it flows
through affection, it is love.

Oversoul don't breathe
through my intellect,
nor through my will
and don't flow through
my affection—so I am
not genius, virtuous,
or loving.

I wish I was.

Gong show & clanging
ass: wretch like me hearing
them sing amazing grace.
Coward in the valley of
courageous. Embarrassed
among graceful. Sinner in
the hand of the sanctimonious.
Stranger in a strange land.

And the blindness of the intellect begins
when it would be something of itself; and
the weakness of the will begins when the

No comments:

Post a Comment