Monday, January 3, 2011

The Reason for My Excess

Dear Colleagues,

“If you aren’t making mistakes, you
         aren’t trying.” Wynton Marsalis
 
My New Year’s Resolution…
 
(in addition to trying harder to reach-out
to colleagues
across the curriculum trying
to cultivate local food for thought &
extend our  Courses
Without Borders  Program)
 
. . . is to try and try to be trying to work-up  a
rubric categorizing &  assessing mistake-to-trying
ratios generated in my courses: my syllabi contracting
& requiring  how much time is to be spent trying the
margins for error & rooms for  play:
 
My old man told me in 1942e when I was down in
the cellar trying to bend tin cans to fit & stay on the
bottoms of my shoes so when I walked around  I
would  clatter: “if at first you  don’t succeed, Sammy,
try, try again. “
 
(Donald Trump, asked how he  achieved success, said:
“Never give up. Don’t ever give up!”)
 
"IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T  SUCCEED,  
TRY, TRY AGAIN. Don't give up too easily;
persistence pays off in the end. The proverb
has been traced back to 'Teacher's Manual'  
by American educator Thomas H. Palmer….
 
Originally a maxim used to encourage
American  schoolchildren to do their
homework. Palmer  (1782-1861) wrote
in his 'Teacher's Manual':
 
'Tis a lesson you should heed,
try, try again.
If at first you don't
succeed, try, try again.'

 
The saying was popularized by  Edward Hickson  
(1803-70) in his  'Moral Song' and is now applicable
to any kind of activity."    (a Wiki leak: any one
can go there.)

xxxooo, Sam 

No comments:

Post a Comment