Monday, September 15, 2008

A few of my favorite words: school, student, sabbatical

My Favorite Words
(for Laura)

Slip slide tease & glide:

Articulate--double-edged
divide the beast at the joints
with minimum blood & gristle.

The IRONIST – "sayer."
any one speaking speaks
out of both sides of the
mouth ironically. .

What I say says about me
& except by convention
nothing about what I say
I'm saying about.

SCHOOL mode:

“leisure time” is what “school”
means in Latin, if Latin
still counts..

Scholarship: leisure time
activity; school: time
for a leisured class..

Do I have to spell
“leisure” out?

Gail Baylor urging
Stress Reduction
Workshops,Conflict
Resolution, Exercise
for Prizes & it’s not
good will haunting
but work program-
matics preventing
my co- convening
staff forum, denting
my required resume-
driven voluntary
service projects &
time managed mental
study skills for
disadvantaged Home
Schoolers lacking
Class Room Strategy
& Tactical awareness
are coached to maximize
retention of our many
multi- tasking hyper-
attentive efficient/
deficient non-linear
constellational cyber-
noetic media-savvy
game playing laptop
dancing web surfing
GoogleGnostic
stunning student
scholars..

STUDENT mode.

We forget to remember that
“student” and “studious” are
words literally indicating anyone
“stunned”
“stupid,”
struck by the learning stick
and so: just right for “study.”

Stunning: prelude & prerequisite
to liberal art! The stupor!
The dropped jaw.
Ooo myyy gawd!

One of them, wonderfully stupid
and stunning, announced: “I just
learned this week, Sam: only 2
exclamation marks allowed per
composition!.”

Another told me:
“I learned a new sentence
in school today.”

SABBATICAL mode

Shabat = : a field left fallow for a year
(every 7th)-- a fallowship for crying out
loud. Do you know the difference
between fallow and productive?
Brood on it.

PRODUCTIVE:
Say what you are going TO DO.
DO IT.
SAY WHAT YOU DID:

aims & objectives: a thesis-driven “sabbatical,”
nothing fallow about it. Just like a syllabus.
Just like a course.

FALLOW:
(nevermind)



xxxooo, Presbyter

No comments:

Post a Comment