Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Word is Worth 1,000 Pictures


A word is worth a thousand pictures.
If I could dance it, I wouldn't have to.


 
   ”In life we make progress by  conflict and
  in mental life  by argument and disputation....
  There must be confrontation and opposition,
      in order that  sparks must be kindled.
 

 
    Only an open conflict of ideas and principles
      can produce  any clarity.  Even if all were
     agreed on an essential proposition, it  would
        be essential  to give an ear to the one
              person who  does not.”   J.S.Mill


 
         “Your goodness must have edge to it
                      else it is none.”    Emerson.
 

 
“The greater part of what my neighbors
call good I believe in my soul to be bad,
and if I repent of anything, it is very likely

to be my good behavior. What demon
possessed me that I behaved so well?”
(Thoreau)
 

 
    “Neither logic nor sermons convince,”
 
                 
 
 “Argument is essential for  its own sake.”
                                         Karl Popper

"The dream of radical transformation,  of one day waking up and finding
oneself   a wholly different (more self  confident, more serene) kind of
person, of escaping
that prison of the given, of feeling divinely
capable.”               Corrections. Jonathan Franzen
                               reconfigured and formatted
                               to fit my screed. 

shelby lee adams photos                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment