Friday, July 26, 2013

Does anyone know what MAIEUTIC means? Believe in it?

Maieutics


“But, after all, it is much easier to discover than to see
when the  cover is off.  It has been well said  that the
attitude of  inspection is prone.’  Wisdom does not
inspect, but  behold. We must look a long time
before  we can  see. Slow are the beginnings
of philosophy.

If people ever GOT IT  in my terms
(*you reek!…Ah!  I get it): heart shaker,
house breaker ooo my gawd suddenly I
see what you’re saying is doing to me;
wouldn’t  that send me out the roof?
Pump me like a balloon inflated so
high when I spit it’d touch every one,
I’m sure,  to cure the blind: that’s why
this business of provocation moves
thru clods & clouds of unknowing.
Raindrops keep falling on my head.
Sunshine would dry me out absolutely;
never the less I burn whenever I stop
yearning.

He has something demoniacal in him,  who can
discern a law or couple two facts.  We can imagine
a time when ‘Water Runs Downhill’  may have been
taught in the schools.

I’m doing science.  Sigh-ence if you like.
In my case-study, the two go together:
2  hands slapping sighs & sci’s  just
following my gnosis, forgive me my
trespasses & poses.  

The true man of science will know nature better by his
finer organization; he will smell, taste hear, feel
better than other men. His will be a deeper
and a finer experience.

I saw a student outside the work-office who is  studying
the piliated woodpecker (called “Lawd-To-Gawd” in
Yoknapatawpha according to Faulkner) at four
different locations and not having the success
he wants in determining patterns for his
senior science seminar presentation.

We do not learn by inference and deduction and the
application of mathematics to philosophy, but by
direct intercourse and sympathy.

I told him don’t you worry about it; just accurately record what
you do and what you see and it’s all good and they got to give
you the credit for it:  patterns or no patterns not with standing. 
“Yeah,” he says: “I’m doing science,  that’s for sure.” 
“Yeah, I agreed:  that’s what science is: say what
you see best you  can: whatever is is good.” 

It is with science as with ethics—we can not know  truth
by contrivance and method; the Baconian is as false
as any  other, and with all the helps  of machinery
and the arts, the most  scientific will still be the
healthiest and friendliest man, and possess a
more perfect Indian wisdom.”

Eureka.

From H.D.  Thoreau’s “A Natural History of Massachusetts”
& reconfigured & reformatted to fit my screed.

No comments:

Post a Comment